Wednesday 2 May 2012

Worst post ever …

To be honest, I’m struggling to think of something to write for this update; so much time has passed since the last post, however, that I have to write something!

So … what bloggable events have happened since the last update? Quite a lot has been going on, including a trip down through Kentucky and into Tennessee for Easter weekend. That’s two more States that I can check off the map now! Both places were probably some of the most beautiful and interesting landscapes that I’ve seen whilst in America, but I’m starting to realise that I say that after every trip.

Kentucky was full of grassy fields, white fences, barns, and fried chicken. Well, peP4075081rhaps not full of it but I did stop by and visit the place of the first ever Kentucky Fried Chicken opened by Mr Sanders himself. There was a small museum inside with some pieces of memorabilia, but it wasn’t too much to write about. Driving through the state was very similar to the last time I ventured south of Indiana; country music and bible discussion dominating the radio. Still a welcome change from Justin Bieber though. I’m looking to head back to Kentucky during the summer to do the bourbon trail which is a defined route visiting all the distilleries within the region … that’ll need a weekend

Tennessee was a beautiful place with such a broad range of scenery; rivers, lakes, and mountains. I was only there for a day as I was down visiting friends for Easter (I had  a great time and ate far too much), but I definitely want to head back and maybe visit Nashville or Memphis. Graceland, anybody? Driving through the many mountain ranges I seemed to encounter, the roads were probably some of the nest I’ve driven on in the country. Smooth and absent of any potholes (unlike Indiana), but I guess this can be linked to the very different climates/winters the two states experience. I also noticed that every vehicle I passed seemed to be a truck or an SUV; luckily ‘gas’ is cheaper here than Indiana, let alone the UK. Here’s a photo of that I took from a scenic overlook from a place I’m struggling to remember the name of at the moment …

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The last few weeks have also seen a pretty pathetic attempt from me in terms of training for the Indianapolis half marathon that is taking place this weekend. With only 4 days to race day, I have ran nowhere near the 13.1 miles required so now my training is purely mental. And eating pizza. It’s carb loading …

Swinging back on track to familiar topics, the weather has been rather British of late and we’ve had torrential rains and some great thunderstorms that have lasted hours on end. The only thing we’re missing is the supposed drought and hosepipe ban.

I also remember reading on the BBC website that there were episodes of panic petrol buying, with pumps running dry and huge queues forming because of reports of fuel shortages. No such problems here, although people had been moaning about ‘gas’ prices hitting a nose bleed inducing 68p a litre (at current exchange rates). OUCH.

I’m pretty sure this has been the most boring blog I’ve written, but I’ve got plenty of things coming up that I think will be more interesting topics; probably starting with a review of my half marathon performance …

I promise that I’ll be back next week at the latest!

No comments:

Post a Comment