Sunday 12 February 2012

Howdy

So as we now enter the 2nd week of February, it still doesn’t feel as though we’ve properly kicked off winter here in Indiana. We’ve had a few dustings of snow, but compared to what has been going on back home in old Blighty; nothing! That’s not to say it hasn’t been cold; yesterday it felt as though my ears were literally going to crack away from the side of my face.

This weekend I set off to Chicago to visit the Auto Show. I like going to the car shows back in the UK and, of course, the Goodwood Festival of Speed but this was my first experience of an international show. How was it? It was good, and interesting to see how the show differs from those in Europe. For starters there was no Alfa Romeo stand (I cried inside a little), although there was some European representation from the German brands, Fiat, and some fantastic Jaguar and Land Rover models. One of the stand out manufacturers displays for me was that of Kia … they really have their stuff together in the States and are making some great looking cars. I don’t think we get those in the UK. The show also featured loads of HUGE pick up trucks, mini vans, and, well, anything that is considered large. The most annoying thing about the show for me was the friction I was somehow generating and getting shocked by absolutely anything I touched. I couldn’t touch a door, boot lid, or door handle without hearing a loud crack and jumping about a foot in the air. I may have also let out a few inappropriate words once or twice, but the kids who could have been influenced by this were more often than not the ones squeezing past me and creating the shocks. Probably some orchestrated event among them all as word that I haven’t bought Girl Scout Cookies has spread.

Shocks aside, this coming weekend sees me headed off to Winter Park, Colorado, for my first ever attempt at skiing. I was sorting out my stuff this evening and have just realised that I’m going to look like some kind of Bond villain as all my clothing is completely black. All I need is a scar or an ugly cat and the look will be complete. That said, assuming my skiing ability is so far based on watching YouTube videos and the fact that I used to inline skate, I think I will be giving my own version of Bambi on Ice. If in doubt I’m just going to fall over … I think it’s the safest for all involved. Only there for a few days so I hope I pick it up quickly!

Also, I bought a Kit Kat from a petrol station yesterday. I don’t know if I’ve written this before or not, but it was a King Size one … it had EIGHT FINGERS. Oddly, my mum guessed this straight away when I told them on Skype earlier. This makes me think that I have told them, because she doesn’t remember anything unless it’s about food.

Haappy Valentines Day, ya’ll!

No comments:

Post a Comment